Student Visa Requirements


Visa information for incoming students is available through the following institutions:

Proof of Financial Means

The German Consulate that will issue the visa might ask for a
"Proof of Sufficient Financial Means to Cover Cost of Living".

Potential applicants should get in touch with the consulate in time to find out which type of financial certificate will be required. Self-financing of studies through gainful employment is normally not accepted!

The following possibilities are generally offered (details are available through the responsible German Consulate):

  • Collateral Security in a Blocked Account:
    As proof of sufficient means for financing your source of livelihood, a so-called blocked account can be opened to which an adequate amount of funds can be transferred. 
    This amount is normally based on the maximum possible amount of the German student grant and loan ("BaföG"), which is currently 659,- Euros a month. The deposit is generally required to cover one year. Therefore 7,908.- Euros are to be transferred to this account.
  • Formal Obligation:
    In conjunction with providing proof of financial circumstances, a person who resides in the Federal Republic of Germany pledges to cover all costs incurred during your course of studies.
  • Scholarship:
    Notice of a granted scholarship can be accepted as proof.
  • Formal Statement of Parent's Financial Circumstances:
    Parent's financial situation must be confirmed by a German foreign representative/embassy.
  • Bank Guarantee (Aval):
    Deposit of a bank guarantee at a financial institution in the Federal Republic of Germany. This bank guarantee is to be renewed annually and must amount to the annual sum of the maximum possible German state student loan and grant (see above "Blocked Account").
Link zum generieren einer PDF-Datei

  Diese Seite wurde zuletzt am  15.03.2018  aktualisiert