Naval Architecture and Maritime Technology(Master’s)
Degree: Master of Engineering (M. Eng.)
Length of Study: 4 semesters
Enrolment: each winter term (no admission restrictions)
Application deadlines for first semesters of study: May until 15.09. of each year (winter term)
Application deadlines for higher semester of study: December until 15.03. of each year (summer term), May until 15.09. of each year (winter term)
1st semester of study:
- Higher Mathematics
- Theoretical Fluid Dynamics
- Computer Science/IT
- Interdisciplinary Elective Modules (semesters 1 and 2)
- Elective modules from the module catalogue “Structural Mechanics and Numerical Mechanics” (semesters 1 to 3) *
2nd semester of study
- Elective modules from the module catalogue "Further Chapters in Naval Architecture / Specialist Shipbuilding" (semesters 2 and 3)**
3rd semester of study
4th semester of study
Examples of elective modules:
* Constructing with fibre composites, vibrations
** Special Ships, Fluid Mechanics
- a first professional degree in Shipbuilding/Naval Architecture with a grade of at least 2.8
- a closely related professional degree with a grade of at least 2.8 Closely related degree courses are courses of study which included at least 60 credit points for fundamental technical skills such as e.g. mathematics, mechanics, strength theory, materials science and computer science. For access to the master’s degree in mechanical engineering, fundamental shipbuilding/naval architecutral skills such as buoyancy and stability of ships, ship construction, ship hydromechanics, the strength, design and equipping of ships are required. Of these fundamental skills, 7 credit points are mandatory and must be proven before the start of the course.
Please apply in good time so that you can start your studies smoothly!
Information about the date of the first term student welcome event, and thus the start of your studies, can be found here.
The processing time for your application can take up to 2 weeks and the last possible date for enrolment is 31st March for the summer semester and 30th September for the winter semester.
Applications for the first semester of study:
- May until 15.09. of each year (winter term)
Applications for higher semester of study:
- December until 15.03. of each year (summer term)
- May until 15.09. of each year (winter term)
Information on application deadlines and procedures for applicants with a foreign university entrance qualification can be found at https://www.fh-kiel.de/en/degree-courses/information-for-prospective-students/international-applications/
Documents to be submitted (as single copies):
- signed application of the online form for admission eligibility
- evidence of the above-mentioned university degree (bachelor’s certificate, performance overview with grades, etc.) or if the first university degree was not completed: proof that a maximum of 30 of the credit points required for the bachelor’s degree are still outstanding with a provisional average grade
- if applicable, evidence of grade improvement
- first university entrance qualification (Abitur, technical college entrance qualification, etc.)
- certificate in the event of a name change (e.g. marriage certificate)
- if applicable, proof of sufficient German language skills for applicants without a German university entrance qualification and without a German university degree (enrolment requirement in the case of admission!!!)
Once your application documents are received by the Kiel University of Applied Sciences, they are checked for form and content by the Student Secretariat and the Examinations Office or the Examination Board of the degree program.
When your documents have been checked positively, you receive an invitation to enrol.
You are informed of the enrolment deadline with the notification of admission. If enrolment is not made on time, the right to the study place expires irrevocably. You can find more information on enrolment here.
If the examination of your documents reveals that the admission requirements have not been met, you receive a rejection notice with a corresponding justification.
There is a compulsory fee charged each semester for the Student Services Authority, the student body and the semester travel ticket.
Also, there is an administration charge for enrolment. This charge is non-refundable.
For further course-related information, please contact the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering directly.
For information on your application or enrolment, please contact:
Tel.: 0431 210 1339
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 09:30-12:00 hrs and
Monday, Thursday 14:00-16;00 hrs and
Tuesday 14:00-16:30 hrs
or by appointment