We are delighted that you are interested in taking a full degree at Kiel UAS. On this website you will find helpful information about the university and the immatriculation process.
Information for applicants about the recognition of German language certificates
Applicants who do not hold a university entrance qualification from a German institution shall provide the university with a proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language, in accordance with Sect. 40, para. 2, no. 2 of the Higher Education Act of the State of Schleswig-Holstein. In accordance with Sect. 5 para. 3 no. 2 of the Einschreibordnung Fachhochschule Kiel, the recognized language certificates are governed by the General Regulations of German language tests for studying at German universities (RO-DT).
Kiel UAS accepts the following German language certificates:
Zeugnis der Deutschen Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH 2 oder DSH 3), The German Language University Entrance Examination for foreigners DSH 2 or DSH 3
Nachweis "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für Studienbewerber (TEST-DAF)" Das Ergebnis aller vier Teilprüfungen muss mindestens die TestDaF - Niveaustufe 4 oder höher ausweisen [Language Examination for German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF) where at least the level 4 has been reached in all 4 disciplines]
- Nachweis "Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz, - zweite Stufe", the German Language Diploma from the German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Culture (DSD II)
- Zeugnis zur Feststellung der Eignung ausländischer Studienbewerber für die Aufnahme eines Studiums an Hochschulen in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Feststellungsprüfung) (the assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung), formally called the "Examination to Assess the Qualification of Foreign Applicants for Admission to Universities in the Federal Republic of Germany")
Please note: If you hold one of the following certificates:
- das Große oder Kleine Deutsche Sprachdiplom des Goethe-Instituts, die Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP), (the big or the small language diploma of the Goethe-Institute or the Central Advanced Language Test of the Goethe-Institute)
- das Goethe-Zertifikat C 2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom, das seit dem 01.01.2012 die vorgenannten Prüfungen abgelöst hat (the C2-Certificate of the Goethe-Institute, which has substituted the above mentioned other certificates of the Goethe-Institute since 01.01.2012) oder or
- die bestandene Prüfung "telc Deutsch C 1 Hochschule" (the passed examination telc Deutsch C1 for university)
you do not need one of the certificates mentioned in 1-4.
Zentrum für Sprachen und Interkulturelle Kompetenz der Fachhochschule Kiel,
Tel.: 0431 210-3603, Fax: 0431 210-63603
If you wish to study Industrial Engineering, you have to prove your knowledge of English. We accept the following certificates:
- TOEFL (Internet-based: 78 points)
- IELTS: 5, LCCI (Level 2)
- 1 semester (6 months) work or study in an English-speaking country.
If you wish to study Information Engineering, you have to prove your knowledge of English. We accept the following certificates:
- TOEFL (Internet-based: 70, Computer-based: 185, paper-based: 515)
- IELTS: 5.5
- BULATS: 60
- equivalent Cambridge-ESOL-Qualification
- English as a native language
- Degree in an English taught Bachelor programme
NEW: Since 2021 you can study Data Science taught in English. To find more Information open this link.
Important: Before you start your study programme at FH Kiel, you need to have financial resources that can cover the entire period of your program. The number of scholarships/ subsidies is rather limited and in most cases can cover only a part of your living expenses for a short period of time.
International Students without a German Abitur/High School Diploma („Bildungsausländer“) in their final semester who are in need of financial assistance are eligible to apply for financial aid. The requirements are good academic performance and a verifiable financial need. The end-of-studies subsidy shall help the scholarship holder to not have to work during their thesis.
Please apply at the International Office after you have registered your thesis. A committee will decide about the award of the scholarships.
Application Deadline: 1.3./ 1.6. / 1.9.
Kiel University of Applied Sciences does not have student houses of its own. Most dormitories are owned by Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein. You might share the kitchen and bathroom facilities with other students. Rooms are subject to a minimum rental period of at least one semester (6 months). You can apply online.
Other dormitories not administered by the Studentenwerk:
- Protestant dormitories (you do not have to be religious to apply here)
- Studentenwohnheim der "Deutsch-Nordischen Burse"
- Wohnheim WAK
- Unidorm - Apartments for Students (East Side)
- Unidorm Apartments on the West Side
- Kyle Studios
- Jensendamm Student Dorm
Other helpful links:
If you are searching for a room on the private market, please be aware of scammers!
Students from outside the EU/EEA need to apply for a residence permit BEFORE coming to Germany. Please contact the German embassy in your home country for more information. DO NOT ENTER WITH A TOURIST VISA. You will need a visa for study purposes.
Students from EU/EEA do NOT need to apply for a residence permit. However, if you study in an EU country, but have a passport from outside the EU, you need to apply for a permit to live and study in Germany. The application is supervised by the International Office and we will provide you with additional information.
EU/European Economic Area (EEA) students:
Please contact your local health insurance agency to apply for a European Health Insurance Card and don’t forget to bring it with you to Kiel. The card only provides basic medical services during temporary visits to another EU country. Therefore, you might also consider purchasing a private insurance covering health, travel and personal belongings.
Students from outside the EU/EEA area:
You might need to purchase a private insurance in your home country covering health, travel and personal belongings. Please check with your local visa authorities for their requirements. You will have the chance to take out a German health insurance after your arrival or have your private insurance confirmed by a health insurance officer. Students without proof of insurance cannot be enrolled at FH Kiel.
Students from countries who have negotiated a social security agreement with Germany (e.g. Switzerland, Turkey):
If you have a statutory health insurance in your home country, please ask your health insurance provider to certify that your health insurance coverage is sufficient for longer stays abroad. The corresponding forms have different names depending on your country of origin (e.g. T/A 11, ATN11 or BH6).
Please make sure you are insured during your entire stay in Germany!