- since 1993: Professor for Materials and Surface Technology, University of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Chair of the Institute for Materials & Surface Technology (IMST), Kiel
- 1987: Research Scientist: GKSS Research Centre Geesthacht (near Hamburg). Microstructure-property relationship in intermetallic materials, including the Ti-Aluminides γ-TiAl and Ti3Al.
- 1986: University of Strasbourg: Habilitation (Doctorat es Sciences): Segregation phenomena at metals and alloys surfaces studied by electron spectroscopy
- University education in Besancon and Strasbourg (France)
- 2019 Innovation Award by the City of Kiel
- 2012 Technology Transfer Award ( First Prize) of the Innovation Foundation Schleswig-Holstein
- 2010 Transfer Award for outstanding Research and Technology Transfer activities
- 2002 Technology Award of the Land of Schleswig-Holstein for outstanding Research and Technology Transfer activities
- 1992 Best paper Award, International Metallographic Society
Journal of Materials Research (MRS) 2006-2010, resigned 2010.
- Smart Materials Research 2012: Advanced Piezoelectrics: Materials, Devices, and Their Applications
- Journal of Electroceramics, special issue Smart Materials 2007, Volume 24, Nr. 1, Febr. 2010
- Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, special issue “Smart Materials” Volume 96, Nr. 3, 2009
- J. Mater. Res., Focus issue on Multiferroics, Vol. 22, Nr. 8, 2007
- Organizer and general chair of the Workshop series “International Workshop on Smart Materials and Structures", (http://www.workshop-smartmaterials.com), now at its 5th edition.
- Co-Chair, of a number of international symposia
- Numerous invited talks at International conferences and symposia
Referee for a number of international journals, including Advanced Materials, Angewandte Chemie, Small, Thin Solid Films, Journal of Crystal Growth & Design, Journal of Materials Sciences, Materials Sciences & Engineering, Electrochemical & Solid State Letters, Appl. Phys. Lett..
Referee for DFG, BMBF (AIF), U.S. Department of Energy, and international universities.
Research topics: Multifunctional materials and thin films and applications, including energy and light harvesting. Since the beginning of my position at the University of Applied Science Kiel my team and I have successfully conducted a multitude of funded projects (DFG, BMBF, BMWi, EU, industry etc.) on such topics as PZT and multiferroic thin films, NiTi-shape memory alloy, solar selective absorber films, nanomaterials synthesis, thermal barrier coatings for flame tubes, functionalized coating for medical appliances etc. In the last 10 years I have acquired research funds in excess of 10 M Euro.
Research activities on functional coatings span a wide range of applications, including release-free anti-adhesive, anti-biofouling films on various substrates, absorber and thermochromic coatings, nanostructured films for photo- and electrocatalysis, nanostructured substrates for molecular detection using localized surface plasmons. Desirable functionalities originate from the proper choice of materials and from tailoring chemistry and topology (ordered porosity, control of structure dimensions..). The coatings are mainly processed using environmentally friendly and sustainable deposition methods such as photo-grafting, electrochemical and sol-gel methods. I have published and co-authored 176 papers in international, peer-reviewed journals, and hold 19 patents and patent applications.
- Contact lens with a surface coating and manufacturing method: DE 10 2018 127 812 / pending
- Transparent, scratch resistant coating with antifouling properties and a method for its processing PCT/ EP 2018/ 052486 /pending
- Antibacterial coating for medical implants and a method for its processing DE 10 2018 115 709 /pending
- A universal method for the processing of thick layers of metal oxides using a sol-gel process /DE 10 2011 107 448.5 /pending
- Coating for polymers, European Patent Nr. 12 732 952.2/granted
- Substrate with a thermochromic layer / WO/2010/043663
- Porous films and their processing /DE 10 2010 044 234/erteilt
- Hydrophobic coating: European Patent No. 2,283,082 B1/granted/ US Patent Nr. US8771830B2/granted
- Implant comprising a biotoxic coating and method for the production thereof European Patent Nr. 2148705B1 granted/ German Patent Nr DE102007023294B4/granted/US Patent Nr 8,486,484 B2/granted
- A method for the processing of substrates for the surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS)/EP patent application 08757953.8 /pending
- Solar selective absorber films for solar thermal collectors using a sol-gel process /DE 10 2006 028 429.1 /granted. WO/00 2007 147 399 /granted. US8,197,884B2 /granted
- A thin film gas sensor with low working temperature for reducing /DE 10 2006 020 253.8 /granted
- A pyroelectric-piezoelectric film on a substrate and a method for the production thereof /PCT /DE 2005/001271 /granted
- A method for the processing of a ceramic film and a screen printing paste /PCT/DE 2004 002 404 /granted
- Electrode for neural tissues based on shape memory alloys /PCT/DE 103 55 815.2-54 /granted
- Pyroelectric ceramic film /EP 03 021 918.2 /granted
- A substrate with a ceramic film and application /DE 102 46 584.3 /granted
- A method for the spin-coating using a sol-gel process /EP /03 012 702.1 /granted
- A method for the spin-coating of a thick ceramic film using a sol-gel process / DE 102 25 972.0 /granted