- since 1993: Professor for Materials and Surface Technology, University of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Chair of the Institute for Materials & Surface Technology (IMST), Kiel
- 1987: Research Scientist: GKSS Research Centre Geesthacht (near Hamburg). Microstructure-property relationship in intermetallic materials, including the Ti-Aluminides γ-TiAl and Ti3Al.
- 1986: University of Strasbourg: Habilitation (Doctorat es Sciences): Segregation phenomena at metals and alloys surfaces studied by electron spectroscopy
- University education in Besancon and Strasbourg (France)
- 2012 Technology Transfer Award ( First Prize) of the Innovation Foundation Schleswig-Holstein
- 2010 Transfer Award for outstanding Research and Technology Transfer activities
- 2002 Technology Award of the Land of Schleswig-Holstein for outstanding Research and Technology Transfer activities
- 1992 Best paper Award, International Metallographic Society
Journal of Materials Research (MRS) 2006-2010, resigned 2010.
- Smart Materials Research 2012: Advanced Piezoelectrics: Materials, Devices, and Their Applications
- Journal of Electroceramics, special issue Smart Materials 2007, Volume 24, Nr. 1, Febr. 2010
- Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, special issue “Smart Materials” Volume 96, Nr. 3, 2009
- J. Mater. Res., Focus issue on Multiferroics, Vol. 22, Nr. 8, 2007
- Organizer and general chair of the Workshop series “International Workshop on Smart Materials and Structures", (http://www.workshop-smartmaterials.com), now at its 5th edition.
- Co-Chair, of a number of international symposia
- Numerous invited talks at International conferences and symposia
Referee for a number of international journals, including Advanced Materials, Angewandte Chemie, Small, Thin Solid Films, Journal of Crystal Growth & Design, Journal of Materials Sciences, Materials Sciences & Engineering, Electrochemical & Solid State Letters, Appl. Phys. Lett..
Referee for DFG, BMBF (AIF), U.S. Department of Energy, and international universities.
Research topics: Multifunctional materials and thin films and applications, including energy and light harvesting. Since the beginning of my position at the University of Applied Science Kiel my team and I have successfully conducted a multitude of funded projects (DFG, BMBF, BMWi, EU, industry etc.) on such topics as PZT and multiferroic thin films, NiTi-shape memory alloy, solar selective absorber films, nanomaterials synthesis, thermal barrier coatings for flame tubes, functionalized coating for medical appliances etc. In the last 10 years I have acquired research funds in excess of 10 M Euro.
Our activities on functional coatings span a wide range of applications, including coatings for optimized silicon appliances in medical technology, novel biofouling films for sub-sea appliances, solar-selective absorber and thermochromic coatings, nanostructured films for photo- and electrocatalysis, nanostructured substrates for molecular detection using localized surface plasmons, anti-reflection coatings and bactericidal films. Desirable functionalities originate from the proper choice of materials and from tailoring chemistry and topology (ordered porosity, control of structure dimensions..). The coatings are mainly processed using environmentally friendly and sustainable deposition methods such as electrochemical and sol-gel methods. I have published and co-authored 135 papers in international, peer-reviewed journals, and hold 15 patents and patent applications.
- A method for the spin-coating of a thick ceramic film using a sol-gel process /DE 102 25 972.0 /granted
- A substrate with a ceramic film and its application) /DE 102 46 584.3 /granted
- Pyroelectric ceramic film /EP 03 021 918.2 /granted
- Electrode for neural tissues based on shape memory alloys /PCT/DE 103 55 815.2-54 /granted
- A method for the processing of a ceramic film and a screen printing paste /PCT/DE 2004/002404 /granted
- A pyroelectric-piezoelectric film on a substrate and a method for the production thereof /PCT/DE 2005/001271 /granted
- A thin film gas sensor for reducing gases with low working temperature, DE 10 2006 020 253.8 /granted
- Solar selective absorber films for solar thermal collectors using a sol-gel process, DE 10 2006 028 429.1/ granted, WO/002007147399/ US8,197,884B2 /granted
- A method for the processing of substrates for the surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy(SERS), EP patent application 08757953.8 /pending
- Implant comprising a biotoxic coating and method for the production thereof/ DE 102007023294.4. /granted
- Hydrophobic coating / EP 2 283 082 B1 /granted/US patent US8, 771,830B2/granted
- Porous films and their processing/ DE 10 2010 044 234 /pending
- Substrate with a Thermochromic Layer, WO/2010/043663
- A coating method of polymers/ DE102011101179/ pending
- A universal Method for the processing of thick layers of metal oxides using a sol-gel process/ DE102011107448.5 /pending